Ha Ha Ha/Yikes

HA HA HA

Has it already been a month!? I'd better type fast since morning naps seldom last as long as one thinks they should.

We have some fouth of July and hot air balloon festival pictures to post, but for the sake of time I'll save that for another post.

This time around we don't have any pictures (you'll understand why in a little bit).

We were having our traditional prebedtime snack the other night and had yet to give the kids a bath as it usually behooves us to wait until they are done with the last mess of the day to clean them up. I happened to glance over and noticed Jonas taking off all his clothes (hence no pictures) but thought nothing of it since it was almost time for his bath anyway.

However, raising kids is kind of like cooking 70/30 hamburger on the grill, things can get out of hand really quick. The next time I looked over at him, his popcorn bowl was on the floor and he was peeing in it.

Now, he had been doing a pretty good job of hitting his target, so I wasn't in to big of a hurry to startle him as at that age it takes a good deal of concentration. But my shocked look and subsequent laughing brought it to Caroline's attention and she said something to Jonas, which surprised him, and... you know the rest of the story. Needless to say, I was resolving the carpet while she gave the kids baths that night.

The good news is that he had dumped the popcorn out on the couch before proceeding. So it wasn't a complete loss.

YIKES

Then last night I was watching the kids while Caroline went to her Bible study and Jonas and I were playing with legos while Lucy took a nap. You may say, "He's awful young to play with legos, isn't he?" But we have watched him and played with him many times and he does a great job and he never plays with them by himself.

I don't know if the news story playing at the time had anything to do with what happened next or not but...

Jonas started sticking his finger up his nose, more than normal, and rubbing his nose on my sleeve while complaining. I instantly feared the worst and my mind raced back to a story some friends had told us about the $10,000 lego incident their son had, which involved the ER and a lot of... well, money.

After asking, "Jonas, did you stick a lego up your nose?" and getting the repsonse, "Wego, wego" I new I had better look into this further. I grabbed Jonas' favorite little flashlight and thought, "I'll just look to see what is in there."

Have you ever tried to tie an earthworm in a knot? It's very similar to wrestling a two and a half year old while trying to reason with him that you need to use his favorite little flashlight to look into the deepest part of his nose.

After about ten minutes of vain reasoning and quick glances, I still couldn't see a thing. But he kept acting like something was in there. Finally, I caught a little glimpse of something that might or might not be plastic. I told Jonas to blow really hard into a kleenex (which I had tried half a dozen times before) and out shot a little black hand that belonged to an unfortunate lego man.

Undescribably relieved and thankful for Jonas being better and dodging a $10,000 bullet, I informed him that he is grounded from legos until further notice and we picked up the culprits.

Oh, the news story was about the soldier who was receiving the medal of honor for throwing an enemy grenade away from his men and he lost his hand in the process. Hmmm...

God is good, all the time,

Ben

Comments

Popular Posts