More of life at home

The other day, Caroline and I each had back to back dentist appointments since we have to drive a ways to get to the dentist. We had decided to drop Jonas off with another MMS family who have a son about his age, but figured we would take Lucy with us as she doesn't really eat for other people than... well... just Caroline.


Now it's important to mention that our dentist is located smack dab in the middle of Amish country in a town that boasts to be the largest Amish population in the world.


Side note, the Amish try to be very humble so I don't know why they have a sign to brag about how many there are in that town.


Before you start worrying, we don't have wooden teeth now or steam powered drills at the dentist office, it's actually very modern. Although there is a hitching post next to all the manure in the parking lot.


I digress, on the way to the dentist, Lucy thought that,


A: she would get carsick.

B: she would stick her finger down her throat.

C: she needed attention in the back seat.

D: any combination of above mentioned options.



The result was quite messy, effectively rendering Lucy's outfit unsuitable for further use and since Caroline had put together two seperate diaper bags instead of one like normal, there were no changes in clothes.



After pulling over in the horse passing lane, we cleaned up what we could, sat her in Jonas' carseat, and continued. It wasn't quite as easy as that, but I'll spare you the details.



After some thinking, we decided that maybe we should just buy her a cheap change of clothes when we got to town since she is needing fall clothes anyway. So, after checking in at the dentist, Caroline went to get her work started and Lucy and I went hunting.



You see a lot of unique things in a town chocked full of Amish and tourists, but probably none as unique as a guy carrying around his daughter in her diaper trying to cross the main street. Nevertheless, we trekked out, diaper clad Lucy and I.



On referall from another store where we had no luck, we went to a place known to have kids clothes. "Great," I thought, "I'll just get a cheap onesy and be done with it."



Turns out that Amish don't believe in onesies. I did however find an Amish style dress that fit like a charm.





Back across the busy street and into the dentist office, wander a very plain clothes man with what appears to be a little Amish girl. Hmmm, needless to say, the rest of the stay at the dentist was one of the other patrons (mostly Amish) giving us some very interesting stares.



One of the dental assistants even asked me if my crying Lucy spoke Dutch, as if to console her in her native tongue I guess. I told her, "She doesn't speak much of anything, this is about as good as it gets."



A free toothbrush was the trick to get her to stop crying. I've got to confess...it usually works for me too, at least until I pay.




Ben

Comments

Popular Posts