Paying Taxes

When we started working as missionaries here, we were introduced to the idea of quarterly estimated tax payments. This was interesting to me as a business major and so as I wrapped my head around the idea that was once foreign to me, it slowly started to make sense.

Why would I want to send a check to Uncle Sam every quarter? That's a terrible idea I thought at first. But then it hit me, with the assistance of some smart people explaining it many times. If I don't set it aside and send it in, it's all going to be there waiting for me in the new year...and not in the form of a refund.

All that to say, as I was sitting here calculating numbers and writing checks "unto Caesar" this morning, all I could think about was what terrible things the government is going to do with this money. In the wake of the shootings in Connecticut, I have seen a lot of statements about abortions drawing parallels between the two tragedies. There are unfortunately too many babies each year who never see the light of day, and from my limited understanding of some different government policies and  programs, it sounds like the government is a big contributor in this problem. Enter my heartburn over paying taxes.

Once in a while God speaks in a still small voice and other times it seems like He smacks me in the face, which is usually more effective.
It hit me. I can't control what the government does with this tax money. It is ultimately all God's though and He knows where every penny of it goes. So I prayed for it. That every penny would go to something that furthers His kingdom and glorifies His name and none of goes to the contrary.

Writing checks to churches and missionaries and people in need is fun, but finally, as I slowly learn to give up my perceived control over things that aren't really mine in the first place, paying taxes isn't such a drudge anymore. May I encourage us all to send our checks in whenever they are due, surrounded in prayer.

Comments

Popular Posts